Fall fever is in full effect and we are loving every second of it! To celebrate the arrival, we are falling into all things apple and pumpkin.
These paleo apple pie bars will do just that! They have a delicious almond butter crust and crumb top with a perfect apple pie filling. A fun gluten free, dairy free, paleo AND vegan fall dessert to make after going apple picking.
For the crust/crumble:
For the filling:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 x 8 square metal baking dish with parchment paper.
1. Combine the water, lemon juice and apples in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, apples should begin to soften.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then stir into the apple mixture until dissolved and mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
1. Whisk thogether the alond butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cococut oil until smooth. Stir in the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda until a thick crumbly dough forms.
2.Press 3/4 of the dough into the prepared baking dish lined with parchment paper, chill the remaining dough while baking the bottom crust for 7 minutes, then remove from oven.
Spread the apple mixture over the partially baked crust, then drop or spoon the chilled crust mixture evenly over the top. Return tot he oven and bake for 25 minutes.
3. Remove and let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Inspired by The Paleo Running Momma